Sunday, January 31, 2016

January Calendar Page

Just under the wire I've gotten my studio fixed up to the point that I can start creating.  I woke up before the sunrise and decided it was a perfect time to head down to my studio.  My first challenge project for 2016 is this calendar page.  I'm going to be working on my calendar through the year.

For the challenge at Mixed Media Mojo they wanted "winter" and "glitter".  The glitter is there but the scan didn't catch it... but there is plenty of winter here!

At Art Journal Monthly the theme was "winter wonderland".  Wouldn't you love to be in this beautiful scene sipping your favorite hot drink?

At The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge the theme was "Time Flies".  Time did fly just like the flying snow in the picture!  It was the end of the month before I get this calendar page done.

At Anything But Cute the challenge was "Ring Out the Old, Bring In the New"... as in use something new.  I used rhinestones with sticky backs to embellish the borders and the snow flake.

And finally at The Order of Opus Gluei we are to use our favorite color... and that would be aqua for me!




Here's what I did:

The first thing was to make a calendar.  I used 12x12 white card stock, cut it in half to make 6x12 pieces.  Using a bone folder I folded them into 6x6 pages, punched holes and did an easy binding on it.

This very simple mixed media has an aqua card stock background.  My winter scene and the text are both from a label from a can of Trader Joe's coffee.  Too pretty to throw away!  The snowflake embellishment is from my stash.  The little circle borders and bling on the snowflake are some new rhinestone bling.  The not-showing-up glitter is Martha Stewart.  Finally, the calendar page is from a free site.  I tinted it in my photo editing program.











11 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece, love the idea of using your work as a calendar page. Thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing page for your calendar.

    Thank you for sharing it at Art Journal Journey

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful page! Great that you shared it with us over at Art Journal Journey!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous page! Thank you so much for joining in our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful calendar, love that page! Thanks so much for playing along with Mixed Media Mojo this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this - what a great idea! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour and the idea of a calendar. You've made aqua cool here, but it always makes me think of summer skies. Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful calendar page with us at Mixed Media Mojo.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for joining our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs

    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right, it is a beautiful scene to look at, especially the stunning sky. Thanks so much for joining in our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely wonderful calendar you are creating here! Great start to the year and I agree, to throw out that colorful artwork from the canister would be wrong, another great idea - recycling/upcycling and thrift!!! The colors are beautiful - you've made what can be a bleak season into one that looks vibrant and cozy. Thank you so much for taking the time to create and share your inspiration and process with us at Opus Gluei! We are glad you liked working with a favorite shot of color.

    ReplyDelete